Friday, February 16, 2007

Why Invitational Tournaments Suck

I came across this article about the NBC Heads-Up Championship. Marco Traniello qualified via satellite. Good for him - he's a decent player. And there's one more amateur qualifier yet to be announced.

However, they listed the other 62 "invited" contestants.

-Defending champ (Ted Forrest)... check.
-WSOP winners... check.
-TV pros and endorsement pros... check.
-Rene Angelil (Celine Dion's hubby/manager)... Well, she can make things happen in Vegas.
-Shannon Elizabeth... Hmmmm, I guess she has a good agent or connections through her ex-hubby.
-Don Cheadle.... I know he can play a little, but is he anywhere near the best 64 head-up?
-Cheryl Hines... WTF? Did she win some satellite on Celebrity Poker Showdown? (Or am I a moron and this is a different Cheryl Hines?)

It seems silly to put dead money in a 64 player INVITE ONLY tourney. I just don't see how these celebrities will add viewership over a pro who could actually win this thing.

Now watch karma bite me in the ass and have one of them go deep.

No comments: