Monday, September 18, 2006

Where Is The Voice Of The Poker Players Alliance?

I watched the re-broadcast of the "60 Minutes" piece on online gaming. This particular exchange made me cringe:

Paradise Poker CEO: I ask anyone, tell me why online gaming should not be regulated?

Lesley Stahl: Well... because it's just bad. It's wrong!


This is the kind of opinionated, skewed journalism online players face in the mainstream media. (I already wrote "60 Minutes" about this piece, but that's beside the point.) Online poker players have no voice in this medium. CEOs of gaming sites usually do NOT represent our point of view.

We are losing the public debate because we have no one expressing our views in the mainstream media.

Where are the talking heads representing the poker players? Isn't that what the PPA is for? I have yet to see a news segment with a player advocate involved.

Phone campaigns and player rallies are nice but our voice needs to be heard on TV via major news outlets. Lobbyists certainly don't mind the face time so get the PPA lobbyists on air. I don't want online poker to be outlawed because some reporter thinks it's bad (amongst other reasons).

1 comment:

Jordan said...

I have to say, my major fear about the PPA is that it is taking advantage of players' fears and amassing money for no particular use. PPA seeks donations, but where does the money go? I don't know, but if it is anything like most not-for-profits, it goes to paying the salary of the PPA employees and other overhead like the PPA's office space and Christmas parties.