Thursday, December 28, 2006

Buffalo, Interrupted

I was working on a post of resolutions, when my father contacted me. "I think I broke my hip -" were his exact words. We spent all day in the emergency room and it was painful for me to watch his discomfort. He's resting comfortably as I write this.

It was important for someone to be there for my dad today. That someone turned out to be me.

I play poker. I handicap sporting events. I'm a gambler. I'm a dreamer. I'm an idealist. I'm a romantic. I'm disenchanted with much of mainstream society. I'm Ralph Cramden with some tech skills. I'm Charlie Brown with some vices - The round-headed kid all grown up - Now at 40 hoping things will still work out, because some days hope is all you have, blockhead.

I had plenty of chances to move out of the sticks this past year. I could be in downtown Buffalo right now drinking after another Sabres win. I could be in NC eating the best BBQ on the planet and courting a belle or three. But I stayed in Prison City, NY and concentrated on the grind and my family.

Sometimes the boring, responsible decisions - the ones that go against every fiber of your being - are the correct plays.

Football Lock of the Week: NCAA, Boise State (+7.5) vs. Oklahoma. No way a team that scores so much should be getting over a TD. NFL, Falcons (+9.5) @ Eagles. Philly has only a home game to play for - Atlanta has a lot on the line. [2006 Record 19-13-1]

No comments: