Monday, May 07, 2007

Fantasy vs. Reality

Actually, that should read "Fantasy is my reality." I was reading the UGIEA last month and was curious about the carve-out for fantasy sports. I was jones-ing to wager on a baseball game and decided to see if there was a fantasy game I could play.

Instead of a season long fantasy team, what if there was a one day competition? Put your money up, pick your players, and the best score at the end of the day takes the cash. Just like a poker SNG.

After a little research, I did find a site that offers these games. I'm not posting the site here - they don't offer an affiliate program, and I think I could create a better offering. (So any web site developers, if you read this CONTACT ME!) But Whoa Nelly, the games are fun and LEGAL. Paypal gladly accepted and cashier transactions are instant.

So the reality of the situation is fantasy baseball has moved poker to the back seat of my short bus. I've been somewhat successful with the fantasy sports, winning 2 of every 3 contests entered. I honestly think it's a skill based game that takes much less time and mental energy than poker. And it makes watching the games great fun. I've never rooted so much for a Devil Rays player.

The only drawback is I've only been able to play 1-2 contests each day. Hopefully this will change as the traffic (and my bankroll) increases.

I've only been playing poker about one session each week since the fantasy bug hit. However, I'm pursuing teaching a poker class this fall at the local learning center. A way to keep my head in the game and make some extra cash.

No comments: