Friday, July 30, 2010

Buffalo66 Challenge Contest #1: I Fall Behind

Well, I've lost the first heads-up challenge with Blinders.

You can see the results here. The final score was 37-39.

I really liked my chances tonight, especially when Blinders picked Hunter Pence (who wasn't playing).

Blinders also took a huge gamble with Chris Carpenter, who finally pitched after a 2.5 hour rain delay.

In other words, he didn't check the lineups or the weather.

I got off to a great start with a Bautista grand slam. However, Jon Lester had his 2nd worst outing of the season, only putting up 9 points.

I was cruising with a 10 point margin until Joey Votto homered and Chris Johnson doubled in quick succession, erasing most of my lead.

Rick Ankiel also walked with 2 outs in the 9th, and later scored on a walk off HR.

Although Carpenter pitched well, I managed to hang onto my lead. With 103 pitches, Tony Larussa sent Carpenter back out for the 8th. He pitched a perfect inning with 2 strikeouts, to give Blinders a one point lead.

I had one last gasp to tie, hoping for a Torrealba strikeout, but he singled with 2 outs in the 9th.

So you can see right away how huge pitching is to winning in baseball. Take away the pitchers and we are neck and neck.

We have 11 more baseball contests, with only 9 weeks to go in the season. Factor in Blinders vacation, and we have less than 8 weeks. So there should be a contest every 4-5 days.

Stay tuned.

No comments: