Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What Happened In Vegas Isn't Staying There

It's been an adjustment settling back in Buffalo after my extended trip to Las Vegas. While the winter has been very mild, I enjoyed the warm weather out west.

I took about 25% of my fantasy bankroll with me to use for sports betting. I finished down a few hundred, including all I spent on food & drink. My deficit can be directly attributed to my losing Super Bowl wager.

Although I excel in fantasy football, I have a shoddy history wagering on NFL. I won't rehash the game again, but my bet was strictly a "fade the public" play. It was obvious the books were steering public money to the Giants.

The two weeks in Vegas was sort of an epiphany for me. When my time there was up, I realized I had finally found my sports betting groove. I enjoy the numbers aspect of it - handicapping the games, following the line moves and calculating bet sizes.

I realized on my way home that I should be spending more time with this area of the sports market. Since then I've rededicated myself to finding ways to place the occasional wager. Results have been positive thus far.

I'm setting a benchmark of success that would precipitate a return to Vegas. I did want to return for March Madness but I'll probably give myself a larger sample size before going back.

Just to be clear, I'm in no way abandoning my fantasy play. Even though there are more functioning contest sites than ever, there are still only a few decent places to play. The lack of high dollar tournaments (until baseball) will probably have me looking for a few matchups in NASCAR and NHL.

If you want to follow (or fade) my picks you can find them on my twitter page.

No comments: