Sunday, August 08, 2010

Buffalo66 Challenge Contest #4: Last Minute Choices

Well, after a crazy day I managed to win another baseball contest.

The final score was 37-21. Results are here.

After running my projections, I checked the weather at 12:15 for any rain out issues. Every game showed a window of opportunity to at least become official.

The Florida Marlins had a great matchup against the Cardinals. Logan Morrison was a super value pick, batting 3rd with a price of $2,100. This also allowed me to load up on Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla, both the top projected hitters at their position today.

At the last minute before the contest was to start, I substituted Casey Blake for Jeff Baker. Although I knew Baker was playing (batting 2nd), Blake was projected much higher against Washington.

Well, the Florida game rained out and Casey Blake got the day off. In other words, I lost 50% of my offense (4 out of 8 batters).

When I got a chance to see our matchup, I was a little worried when we both chose the same pitcher. This meant more emphasis on offensive scoring. We also both had Joe Mauer at catcher.

Blinders got a quick 2 point lead on Vernon Wells hit. However, the WHITE HOT Carlos Gonzalez hit a 2-run HR in the first inning. I jumped out to a quick 8-3 lead and never looked back.

Car-Go saved my bacon by putting up 15 points - almost my complete margin of victory.

I was kicking myself for replacing Baker because he went on to hit a solo HR in the game.

(I also killed myself in all of the Fan Duel multis with my 3 Marlins... finishing 2nd in each contest.)

Once the early games were over, the majority of our batter scores were locked in. With only the pitcher to go, the outcome was settled.

So now the challenge sits at 3-1 in my favor, with Blinders selecting the next date.

1 comment:

Schaubs said...

Pretty sure you are going to run over Blinders in this contest.

Sorry Blinders, but Buffalo66 is in a league of his own.

I still think Blinders is good, but maybe not as good as he thinks.

Time will tell.

GL to you both.