Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's Not All Sunshine And Lollipops Over Here

While things have been going good in the Buffalo66 Challenge, I took some time to review my fantasy play for this year.

It's not very pretty.

Basically, I'm resigned to the fact I'm going to have a losing baseball season over at Fan Duel. There's just not enough time left in the season to get out of the hole. Besides, I'd rather allocate my resources for my more profitable sports.

There are several reasons for my swoon this year:

-Baseball is the highest variance sport, without question.
-The competition gets better every year, without question.
-Awful month of April (as usual).
-Took May & June off to start my restaurant venture.
-Awful July (which is unusual). Maybe I was rusty.

In August I've tried a multi only strategy, needing only a win rate of 25% to be profitable. So far, I'm only winning 1 of 8 (12.5%), but it is a small sample size.

I prefer to play autopick contests but they are not well suited to baseball, because you only pick 2 deep at each position. Only on days with 2 clear cut choices at P does it get interesting.

The soft salary cap at FD doesn't help matters either. (I do understand they are now offering tighter cap games.)

It's no coincidence that when I was crushing FD hockey last season everyone complained the cap was too tight.

Now I have been winning at FSL since my return to daily fantasy. And there is a good chance I'll still end baseball season profitable overall. But Fan Duel has semi-crushed my soul this summer.

Perhaps I was running above expectation for the last 3 years. So simply put, "I was due" for some long term run bad.

I'll still play some FD baseball (including the challenge), but I'm really looking forward to the fall.

No comments: